Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Friday, April 19, 2013

Santiago de Compostela to Sarria Day 1

So, finally, here I am in Sarria the starting point for my journey to Santiago. My day started at 4 am and I arrived here around 3 pm. A few minor dramas like forgetting the power converter for my phone. I packed the European bit but forgot the UK bit and had to go buy another one at the airport. Also forgot my European Health Card but being positive I won't need it, bung foot or not! It's still a bit swollen and quite bruised but pain free!

For those who would appreciate details of the journey to assist with personal planning ( for those of us who like to plan :)) I flew with Ryan Air with no luggage problems except I checked my pack pack in at extra cost when I realized my Leki walking pole was classed as a dangerous item! I stayed overnight at a local B&B, Stanstead Lodge, very reasonably priced with pick up from airport and return in morning. Cost 12 GBPs for transfers. The Polish driver asked If I had just arrived from Australia which I thought curious cause I couldn't remember saying I was Australian on the booking system. I asked her how she knew and she surprised me by saying with equal surprise ' by my accent'. Thought this cute considering that most who know me think I am still very northern.

Met a fellow pilgrim, also on the way to Sarria, in the airport lounge and to wile away the time waiting for the bus to Lugo we reminisced on adventures and experiences on our previous Camino in 2010. It was good to have a companion to Sarria.

The bus terminal at Santiago is directly outside the main entrance of the airport so my well rehearsed Spanish to ask for directions were not needed!
The first part of the journey is to Lugo, an ancient walled city but I didn't have any time to explore. Changed to another bus at Sarria after buying a ticket inside the terminal. It was pay the driver for the Lugo bus. Total cost of bus tickets was E12.50.

The scenery on the bus trip was lush and green. The bus route wove in and out of the Camino which gave me a hint of the days to come.

I am staying tonight at the Hotel Mar De Plata which is very modern and priced well. E43 for a double room and ensuite. As it turned out the hotel is very close to the bus station but I had to walk across town and back again didn't I to find it!! I went into a pharmacia to ask for help and was given a map which was very helpful. Not sure if it's useful to know a few words in Spanish cause you get a blast of Spanish back and haven't a clue what they said. Just nod, say 'gracias' and move on!

So dinner tonight in the hotel and tomorrow it all begins again!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping the weather is good to you....

Thel

irene weston said...

Fabulous sissy! Relieved to hear you arrived okay and have commenced your long anticipated journey. You are amazing!