Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Monte del Gozo to Santiago de Compostella 5 kms Day 8

First sight of Cathedral spires


It is with a great sense of awe and thankfulness that I can finally say 'I am here, I made it'. I wondered how I would feel when I reached the Cathedral, what emotions would be touched, if any, and all I can say, magnificent as the Cathedral is, the Camino is really all about the journey and the little gems of self discovery you pick up along the Way! I did however express tears of relief and wonder that I had actually made it when the cathedral spires suddenly appeared before me.

It was just as exciting going to the pilgrim office along with all the other pilgrims to get our Compostellas,a certificate to state I had walked the Camino and to see all the people who had walked with me and passed me and encouraged me along the Way including the Dutchmen and Bradford Ruth. Ruth broke down in tears when she went for her certificate and no-one was more surprised than she.
Henk and Otto,  the lovely Dutchmen
The pilgrim mass was beautiful and the Cathedral was full. They read out all the nations represented at the service and I lost count of how many.

We celebrated Ruth's birthday with a meal at the Seminario Mayor next to the Cathedral now transformed into a very elegant hostel and very reasonable for the night. Recommended for prospective pilgrims but you may have to book ahead!

So, has all the agony been worth it? Yes a thousand times, yes!

It is good to remember that a pilgrimage is not a holiday for leisure and pleasure but a journey with a destination and spiritual purpose. I reached my destination but my life's journey in this world goes on.
















No comments: