Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Melide to Arzua 14.1 kms Day 6

What a joy to get to the alberque today at Arzua. A short day with only 14.1 Kms but much of it up hill! Beautiful green countryside, and some excellent rest stops. I thought I had tended my feet carefully today, stopping whenever I felt a hot spot, slamming Compeed on little toe but no blisters in sight. When I took my socks off tonight I was horrified to see two blister bubbles on the end of my toes. One on each foot! How did that happen? There were quite a few steep downhill stretches so maybe my toes rubbed too much on my boots though I never felt any problems. Anyway, I have slammed some more Compeed on each one so hope they hold out. Two more days of walking to go!

The Municiple alberque with 48 beds here is very pleasant tonight and only E5. It was full by 5 pm! They have arranged the dormitory with bunk beds pushed together to make doubles. I find I am sleeping alongside a lovely elderly Dutch gentleman who is now very concerned about his snoring!! What was the girl at the desk thinking! Oh well it all adds to the colour of the journey! I reassured him I have some well tested ear plugs!! I just hope I don't have another nightmare yelling out in the night. I couldn't bare it! There's 32 pilgrims in this dorm!

So, today was a good day of walking. My energy levels seem to be back to normal. I bought another energy drink and coffee this morning. Red Bull, full of good things!
Saw my first stork's nest but no storkies around. May be too early in the season! It pays to keep looking up or I would have missed it.

The hour approaches to go out and find a restaurant. Though I enjoy the solitude of the journey each day it would be so nice to share the evening with a close companion and share the highlights of the day with a glass of vino tinto. It is interesting that there are not too many people traveling solo or maybe they have linked into other groups. Maybe I just feel a little alone!






















No comments: