Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Palas de Rei to Melide 15.3 Kms Day 5

A good stay at Palas de Rei at the Buen Camino Alberque. Doesnt look much from the outside but was very clean with good facilities. A bar and restaurant downstairs. My Spanish room companions, Carlos and Francisco, were cycling today to Santiago and had already biked 600 Kms in seven days. My other male companion was from Seattle and had walked from St Jean Pied de Pont . With only the last 50 Kms to go to Santiago he said he was feeling bitter sweet about finishing it. They say the worst thing about the Camino is going home!

So, today was a strange day. It started off all muddled. I had walked about 300 meters down hill on the way out of town when I realized I had left my walking pole behind! Walking back up that hill was not a good way to start the day!! I felt exhausted before I had even started. In fact my energy level was at zero all morning. I think perhaps my body salt levels may be depleted as I have perspired buckets over the past few days!

The track this morning was a real adventure crossing streams, balancing on stepping stones and sliding in the mud. Lots of uphill climbing too! Everyone passes me along the way. I am so slow! But everyone is so friendly and cheer you along! I stop often to let people past. I don't mind being the lambs tail at all as I enjoy the solitude of having no-one in front of me or behind me.

Quite a number of Irish pilgrims today. Stopped at a popular cafe and had a desperately needed coffee and energy drink. Felt so much better after that!

I have started buying my breakfast and lunch the night before as you don't always know how far you have to walk to the next cafe. A large bread roll and a packet of cheese slices seems to work, with an apple and banana. Lasts all day. A pilgrim meal is usually about E10 and quite good value except the main course is always served with potato chips and can be a bit greasy. Galicia soup is my favorite so far.

Met one odd person today walking in the opposite direction (maybe doing the Camino in reverse) very bedraggled with long hair and a poor Labrador following meekly behind with shoes on! Looked really weired! Probably to protect his paws from blisters! Don't be surprised about anything on the Camino!

I have been blessed with blankets at the last two Alberque but none tonight. Staying at the Melide Municiple alberque. Only E5 with good facilities but no blankets. I think it is mainly the private alberques that provide them but you pay more. So hoping I will be warm enough. It is still quite cool through the night.














No comments: