Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Friday, April 26, 2013

Argo O Pino to Monte del Gozo 15.5 kms day 7

So, here I am on the eve of entering Santiago de Compostela. Tomorrow it is an easy 5 Kms walk into the city. Monte Gozo alberque is situated on an elevated site overlooking the city, it says you can see the spires of the cathedral in the distance but I haven't discovered that yet. It has accommodation for 500 during the peak season. It is modern and comfortable with supermarket and restaurant. I am waiting for the restaurant to open at 8 pm! The Spanish eat late!

It was a fantastic last night to be reunited with Bradford Ruth at the alberque and we exchanged the stories and adventures of our walks over the past few days. We bumped into each other in the supermarket and squealed with delight at seeing each other again. This is a common reaction when anyone unexpectedly meets a fellow pilgrim again. Ruth is doing the Camino to mark her 50th birthday so we have arranged to meet tomorrow outside the cathedral and go and celebrate.
I was amazed also to see the Dutchmen, Henk and Otto, right at the reception door as I entered the alberque when I arrived at 1.15 pm today. I thought I wouldn't be seeing them again. More squeals of delight all round with hugs and European kisses on each cheek.

It was a very hard walk for me today. This last part of the walk is mostly up hill but very pleasant never the less through eucalyptus forests and quiet woodland.
There are literally crowds of pilgrims on this last stretch, many just doing a one day walk in to the city. They practically galloped past me as I trudged along. Yet despite the crowds, as I approached Mr Gonza there was not one other pilgrim in sight for two kilometers, either before me or behind me. I felt like I was the only poor pilgrim on the entire Camino and the only one diverting to this alberque.

It was probably the impact of feeling totally exhausted and barely managing to put one foot in front of the other, compounded with the realization of being so close to the end of the journey, that I found it difficult to suppress deep emotions that were squirting out of me like a burst water main.

I try not to analyze these feelings any more but the picture of a knotted ball of wool unravelling inside of me seemed to fit the feelings.

When I arrived today apart from the Dutchmen there were a group of Koreans in front of me and a guy from Brazil behind me. the guy who booked us in was Manuel and a bit of a clown making us all feel welcome. i think he felt sorry for me and gave me the room nearest to the bathroom. I was so tired and exhausted I barely managed to put the disposable bottom sheet on the bed before collapsing onto it. With the help of a very strong painkiller I stayed put for three hours.

Today was the first day I used my rain jacket. It was very light rain and the temperature has dropped alot but was perfect for walking up hill. I am now feeling well rested and peaceful and very hungry! The restaurant is open soon!

Tomorrow is the big day!












No comments: