Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ferreiros to Gonzar 17.5 Kms Day 3

What an eventful day though it started off on an interesting note. I was in the ladies brushing my teeth and the German lady who was in the next bunk said to me with a concerned voice " last night you had a bad dream and were shouting 'Somebody help me, please help me'"! I imagine I woke up the whole dormitory. The poor German lady thought I was being murdered in my bed! How embarrassing! It is a recurring dream I have had for years. I couldn't remember a thing about it thus morning! Maybe I should go see a psychiatrist lol!

So, had a lonesome walk on my own for the next part of the journey. Very misty, a bit eerie when walking alone. I had walked about 4 Kms when out of the mist appeared this little elderly man with a walking cane. He asked me where I came from and seemed very impressed when I told him Australia. I was trying to figure out what he was doing there in the middle of nowhere. He asked if I wanted coffee and of course I said yes immediately regretting my eagerness! He told me to follow him to coffee. Now I m thinking I am being abducted never to be seen again. The upshot was he was trying to direct pilgrims to his alberque for breakfast. So I ended up having coffee and toast with an English lady from Bradford who was sitting at the bar practicing her Spanish to the batman! It's really weird how you get caught up in these obscure scenarios!

I was headed for Portomarin and then Gonzar. The first part was easy and downhill. Not far before Portomarin was a little hamlet with a sign up on the wall. Casa Susana ( Ausie Sheila)! So I knocked on her door to say hallo from Aus! She was pleased to see me and told the story of doing the Camino a few years ago and ended up buying this little run down house which she has been restoring ever since the Bradford pilgrim showed up by then and she showed us around. Very quaint and ancient downstairs but beautiful and bright upstairs! What an inspiration!! So Ausie future pilgrims call by and say hallo to Susana! You will be welcome!

The sun finally came out round about lunch time and grabbing a bottle of shampoo at the supermarket and enjoying a Skype phone call from my sister in Aus I
Hit the track again. This time it was all up hill and another 9 Kms which sounds reasonable but was quite grueling! I barely made it to the alberque at Gonza.

So, all in all, a good day walking through some lovely woodland and forests.



















No comments: