Camino Francis

PILGRIMAGE

Blessed is the one who trusts in God
And whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Psalm 84:5

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Arzua to Arca O Pino 19 kms Day 7

By the grace of God and two Red Bulls I made it today to Azuza de Pedroza, 19 kms. I had planned to stay at Santa Irene but it was only 3 Kms to the next alberque and main town. Even so it was a long 3 Kms and I am aching and I think my big toe is going to drop off ha ha! It is taped up with Compeed. I struggled into the alberque with a Frenchman who was also dragging his feet. We have deep empathy for each other lol.

I am staying at the Azuza Municiple alberque E5 and quite basic and also quite loud with several exuberant youths. The Frenchman was also not very impressed!

So after my groaning last night about eating alone I had the most enjoyable time with the Dutch gentleman and his son. The father did not speak English but the son spoke it very well and translated my part of the conversation. I shared the fond memories I have of visiting Holland as a young girl with my Mum and Dad. The father was very interested in my recollections of the little farm house my mother grew up in and how she slept in a cupboard in the wall. He remembered that as a child too having grown up in a very poor family. They knew the village where she was born and strangely it stirred some hidden emotions in me. It was a special time sharing life with these two Dutchmen and I felt a kindred spirit with them.

To close the evening the restaurant owner invited us to join in with a popular Galicia tradition called Queimada. I don't know how to describe it but traditionally it is a family kind of celebration around a drink made out of coffee beans, lemon, sugar and a liqueur? called Aguardiente de Orujo. It is 40% proof. When you stir it, it gradually bursts into a flame getting stronger and stronger. Then someone reads a long story which was in Spanish and I didn't understand a word but then everyone was offered a hot drink from the bowl. A bit like a hot toddy. Was a special time sharing a local Spanish tradition with other pilgrims and Spanish locals. There is a photo with the Dutch father who just turned 70 and very fit with it too!

Today was a relatively easy walk and mostly flat. Good companionship along the way with Irish Mary, American Karen and the Frenchman who is still nameless at this stage.

A time to reflect at a memorial for a pilgrim who died on the walk only one day from his earthly destination. It reminds me how fragile and temporary this journey on earth is.

Every one is now full of anticipation on reaching Santiago tomorrow. It is still another 20 kms to go so I am not expecting to get there tomorrow. I will walk a shorter distance and take it easy to walk in on Saturday. I had hoped to go to Finisterre ( worlds end as it was known to the pilgrims of the Middle Ages and the sea route home for them) but time may not permit!

Hopefully I will have sufficient strength to go to the restaurant up the road. I certainly don't have the strength to cook my own tonight!

















No comments: